Entourage 2004 Database Error after Restore

M

mdw3

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: imap

My MacBook Air's Entourage 2004 hung last night while attempting an operation, and after finally forcing it to quit, the program would no longer read the database on startup. I thought it would be no problem, as I actually have another desktop Mac on my network which also runs Entourage 2004, and shares the same IMAP and web-based email accounts.

So, I copied the 4 Main User Identity files (Database, Mailing Lists, Rules and Signatures) from the other computer's Office 2004 Identities folder to the Air's folder of the same name. Now, when I attempt to start Entourage on the Air, it responds with an error (Entourage Cannot Access your Data), and asks me to do a rebuild. When I agree, the utility responds that "An error occurred while attempting to rebuild your database. An unknown error (-5000) occurred."

I have tried to move the identity out of the Entourage 2004 Identities folder, and Entourage will start fine and begin to create a new identity, so I know the installation of the program is still OK, but when I move the identity back, it gives the same error again. Ideas?

Michael

D

Diane Ross

n unknown error (-5000) occurred."

Error -5000

Messages with an attachment creates Error -5000

Attachments are stored in the Entourage Temp folder inside the Microsoft
User Data folder. This is where Entourage is trying to save the file before
it opens. Check the permissions on this folder.

Owner Access: Read Write
Group Access: Read only
Others: Read only

You can delete the Entourage Temp folder, and Entourage will create a new
one when launched.

From the Error Page:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/error/>

M

mdw3

Thanks, Diane. I had already tried this, as I saw another of your posts on a similar error message, but it had no effect. Also, I am not using a new profile (until I can figure out how to restore my old one), and I am seeing triplicate copies of all new IMAP messages in my inbox. Do you have any other insight? Thanks!

Michael

M

mdw3

Sorry, the above should have read "I am now using a new profile . . . ."

Thanks,
Michael

D

Diane Ross

I am seeing triplicate copies of all new IMAP messages in my inbox.

It's easier to create a new Identity for IMAP accounts to clear up problems
like this. Just let Entourage sync back up to the server. If you see dupes
again then it's coming from your server. You'll need to clean up there or it
will keep looping from the server to Entourage and back again.

Ask a Question