Excel on PC crashes when trying to open file created on Mac

C

chaithk

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I created a an Excel file with about 20 charts using Office for Mac (not particularly big -- about 400KB) and have then tried to open it on a PC running Vista.

But the Excel on the PC crashes. I get an initial message when trying to open the file that some user data might be lost and then after excel crashes, a Windows message saying that Excel has stopped working.

Subsequent attempts to open the file at best get a recovered file that only has the data and all the charts missing. A previous version of the same file on the Mac (with different data) opened on PC with no issues...

Anyone else encounter this annoying problem? Anyone with ideas on what I can do to fix this? Thanks.

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I created a an Excel file with about 20 charts using Office for Mac (not particularly big -- about 400KB) and have then tried to open it on a PC running Vista.

But the Excel on the PC crashes. I get an initial message when trying to open the file that some user data might be lost and then after excel crashes, a Windows message saying that Excel has stopped working.

Subsequent attempts to open the file at best get a recovered file that only has the data and all the charts missing. A previous version of the same file on the Mac (with different data) opened on PC with no issues...

Anyone else encounter this annoying problem? Anyone with ideas on what I can do to fix this? Thanks.

Hi,

The first step in solving this sort of problem usually involves making
sure that all of the current updates are installed. That goes for the
computer making the files and the computer trying to open them.

-Jim

C

CyberTaz

Additional helpful info omitted from your first post: Which version of Excel
is being used on the PC ("Vista" is the Windows Operating System), and *how*
is the file being transmitted/transported to the PC?

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

C

chaithk

I do have the latest updates on the Mac and the PC. (Just checked again to make sure). The PC runs Excel 2007. I transferred the files first using Yahoo email and then using a USB. Neither attempt worked. Hope that helps. Thanks for responding.

C

CyberTaz

OK - First of all make sure to use the checkbox in the Save As dialog to
include filename extensions.

As to emailing, many email systems - especially web mail - will play havoc
with files that don't have extensions [and even those that do]. It's also a
good idea to Stuff/Zip any files before emailing in order to further protect
them. On the recipient's end attachments should always be saved to their
local HD, *not* opened directly from the email server. They should then open
& work with the local copy.

USB sticks can also generate problems depending on how they're formatted.
Also, never attempt to open a file stored on the stick. Always copy/move the
file to the local HD & work with that. Again, filename extensions can make a
difference. I use them religiously - they can't hurt anything if they aren't
needed but it can make a big difference if they're lacking.

Ask a Question