Files saved as pptx yesterday in 12.1.9 willnot open today in 12.2 after upgrade.

M

mlh78750

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I get a message that I need to update to the latest powerpoint to open the file. Ironic since the update is what actually caused the problem. These are files I created under 12.1.9 and will now no longer open at all under 12.2.

To workaround the issue I tried opening the files in office for win 2007 and making a small change and saving. The file is still not able to be opened in 12.2 powerpoint. The only way I was able to get my data back was to open in windows and save as 97-2003 format and therefore losing quite a bit of my formatting. :(

D

dejadeja1

I simply saved the file in pptx again using Office 2007 and solve the problem without losing my format. But it is really annoying you have to do this.

M

mlh78750

I simply saved the file in pptx again using Office 2007 and solve the problem without losing my format. But it is really annoying you have to do this.

This does not work for me on the three pptx files I have tried. I eventually just reinstalled and upgraded just to 12.1.9 and everything is working correctly again. I'll wait until 12.2.1 and hope that they have fixed this problem.

R

RSK

Same thing here, I will have to uninstall and then retrograde to 12.1.9. Has anyone heard anything official from MacBU on this? The software in the update might be fine but it sure did break a bunch of my files... what a pain!

N

Nigelb

The workaround to this problem is to open the document with the Open XML Converter application (downloadable from Mactopia), which will convert the doc back to .ppt format and open in Powerpoint for you. You can then re-save in .pptx format.

It's not clear from the web page that you are directed to when this problem occurs whether Office compliance with the Office Open XML standard (OOXML) has got better or worse. Seems to make no difference to Keynote which will successfully open .pptx files created with before and after SP2 versions. At least we get motion paths and animated GIFs in this version, but at the cost of a shedload of grief.

This issue must have been known about before SP2 was released but is there a warning anywhere in the release notes? Oh no.....

M

MarcosM

Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.1 update is now live! This release fixes the issue in Office 12.2.0 where some users were not able to open some PowerPoint (.pptx) & Excel (.xlsx) files. The release is available for English versions today, August 6, and other languages will be available soon.

To download please visit: <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx>

This update only applies to 12.2.0. If you are running a previous release, you must update to 12.2.0 first, and then install 12.2.1. The update is also available from the Auto Update tool.

Marcos Montenegro
Macintosh Business Unit
Microsoft Corp.

This posting is provided *AS IS* with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Ask a Question