Hanging indents STILL do not align properly

J

jmooring

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Using Mac PowerPoint 2008 v12.2.1 and the old problem with hanging indents still persists. It affects old and new files alike. Am I missing the fix, or am I right to be baffled that such a fundamental issue hasn't been addressed yet?

J

Jeff_Chapman

Okay - you're using the latest version of PowerPoint, so we're starting from the same point - good.

Now, I'm actually a bit behind you here... I rarely even look at this function, and I wasn't even sure of what a "hanging indent" was, much to my embarrassment. Is this supposed to be a first-line indent, like the paragraphs in a book are indented? Or is it the other way around, where the first line is flush with the margin but the rest of the lines are indented to the right of the margin?

The Office 2008 help content contains only a paucity of information on the Paragraph dialog settings - it's not enough to really understand what is meant by "hanging indent" in the first place. (I've already complained to Microsoft about this, and would hope that they add some more useful help content on this soon...)

Okay, my lack of knowledge aside, after creating a blank presentation, double-clicking on the slide to make a text box, typing in some lines, return characters and more lines, and messing with the indent and Hanging Indent settings, I'm starting to see how it could possibly work.

I selected the text box, and from the Format - Paragraph dialog, in the Indents and Spacing tab area, I selected "Before Text" as 1 cm, "Special" as hanging, and "By" as 2.02 cm. The result was that the first line remained flush with the margin (left side of the text box), while the remainder of the lines were indented.

So if "hanging indent" means "indent everything but the first line", then it seems like it's working. Since I don't know how this function is supposed to behave (due to a lack of help files), I can only speculate, however.

I found that it's easier to see the changes in the tabs when you actually select the text within the text box (not just the edges of the text box itself), and then go to Format - Paragraph. You can then make live changes to the Indentation values. I'm guessing it works, but depending on the numerical values you enter, it may appear to be messed up.

Also, I found that as with the Windows version of PowerPoint, you have to hit SHIFT+Enter in order to insert a line break (not a paragraph break). Hitting Enter alone will put a paragraph break in there. The difference is major when you're using indents.

Jeff

N

Nancy

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Using Mac PowerPoint 2008 v12.2.1 and the old problem with hanging indents still persists. It affects old and new files alike. Am I missing the fix,or am I right to be baffled that such a fundamental issue hasn't been addressed yet?

Hi there, I was wondering if you could explain what hanging indents
are and what the problem you are seeing?

Thanks!
Nancy

J

jmooring

More accurately, I should say it's the bulleted indents that are not properly aligning. Technically, a hanging indent is where the first line of text 'hangs' off the justified edge of the text by some user-defined amount of space.

The problem I'm seeing with bulleted indents is that the justified edge has an artificial space inserted before the second and all subsequent lines of text. The net effect is that the first text character of the first line is not aligned with the following lines of text -- making for a very sloppy looking bulleted list. This happens when forcing line breaks with SHIFT+Enter as well.

Apparently this has been going on for some time. I've read conflicting accounts of fixes and affected versions of the software. As far as I can tell, it's still a problem in the latest version of Word.

C

CyberTaz

If you'd be so kind I'd like to take a look at one of the files where you're
experiencing the problem. Replace the X with @ in the following address and
to avoid my spam filter be sure to put this as the Subject Line: jmppt

generaltaz1Xcomcast.net

I'm not sure I follow your definition of a Hanging Indent, though. With a
hanging indent the first line need not be (and often isn't) indented from
the left margin, but the second & successive lines of the paragraph are. If
the first line is indented the additional lines are indented more... That's
what makes it "hanging". In a bulleted or numbered list the bullet/number
character is normally flush left followed by (in PPT) an invisible "tab" &
the additional lines are indented to the same point. Word's defaults &
mechanics for bulleted/numbered lists are a bit different, however.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

N

Nancy

More accurately, I should say it's the bulleted indents that are not properly aligning. Technically, a hanging indent is where the first line of text 'hangs' off the justified edge of the text by some user-defined amount ofspace.

The problem I'm seeing with bulleted indents is that the justified edge has an artificial space inserted before the second and all subsequent lines of text. The net effect is that the first text character of the first line is not aligned with the following lines of text -- making for a very sloppylooking bulleted list. This happens when forcing line breaks with SHIFT+Enter as well.

Apparently this has been going on for some time. I've read conflicting accounts of fixes and affected versions of the software. As far as I can tell, it's still a problem in the latest version of Word.

You know I have seen that here and there, but can't seem to reproduce
it right now. Could you give me the exact steps to reproduce this
problem? Also, are you using a certain theme or template?

Thanks,
Nancy

Ask a Question