Microsoft Sync Services error every few seconds SOLUTION

P

papahbear

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Power PC
Email Client: pop

I've seen this question asked many times in many places. Lots of people chime in saying "me too!", and yet I've only seen one reply with a suggestion, which didn't work.

In the process of writing up this post, I stumbled on a solution so I decided to share it here and post anyway.

Issue:
Every few seconds a new error window opens reporting an error from Microsoft Sync Services, saying it had encountered an error and needed to close. If left unattended these errors will quickly consume your computer. (I had stepped out to eat after launching Entourage. It wasn't pretty).

Solution:
Change permissions of the folder to allow admin as well as user access. In my case I needed to back up and change the permissions of the entire library folder.

Steps leading up to the issue:

Hopefully by detailing my process, someone working on the project may find a solution so that the user never need encounter this problem to begin with.

I'm using Entourage with Mac osx 10.5. Last week I got a new iphone 3gs and everything was fine until a few days ago when my contacts refused to update any longer. I followed suggestions on Apples support site, backing up and removing the following folder.
~ (user) / Library / ApplicationSupport / SyncServices
Instructions for this method are here.
iPhone 3G Won't Sync Contacts
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7691770>

After following these instructions my contacts now synced up with my iphone as expected. However, later that day I opened Entourage and was bombarded with error messages from Microsoft Sync Services saying it had encountered a problem and needed to close.

Details of the error, while vague, indicated an inability to access a file making me think that there may be a permission problem with the files I backed up.

I've changed permissions on the folders to insure admin and current user have full access to the library folder to no avail.

I replaced the contents of the SyncServices folder with the backup, except for those newly created. The problem persists.

My next step is to simply restore the entire folder from the backup and go back to being unable to sync my contacts. Not a desirable solution but its preferable to the annoyance of endless error windows.

As an afterthought I backed up a few levels and changed permissions for the entire library folder, granting access to admin in addition to my own account.
This seems to have resolved the problem. How the files at that level got their permissions changed is beyond my ability to reason out. I had only been working with the folder mentioned in the solution above.

A Challenge:
Someone working on this project may want to look into this particular error and resolve the frequency of which it is reported. Perhaps they could even include the solution in the software so the user never need encounter it in the first place. I'm sure it can be done if someone takes the time to figure it out.

D

Diane Ross

Thanks for sharing. I'll post this on the Entourage Help Blog.

BTW, was your User and admin user?

Ask a Question