newly loaded office not getting past the registration option

C

Carl81

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Wondering if anyone can help me? have recently loaded office 2008 onto my mac and it installed ok. all the icons are on and all the files seem to be present in finder. however when i try to open word or any of them it takes me to the setup assistant (to register and check for updates) i have done this several times but after finishing, i try to open word again and it takes me straight back to setup assistant again. it is kind of like microsoft groundhog day! i have tried taking it off and re-installing to no avail. would appreciate any help as i am pretty frustrated.
carl

D

Diane_Ross_MVP

Wondering if anyone can help me? have recently loaded office 2008 onto my mac
and it installed ok. all the icons are on and all the files seem to be
present in finder. however when i try to open word or any of them it takes me
to the setup assistant (to register and check for updates) i have done this
several times but after finishing, i try to open word again and it takes me
straight back to setup assistant again. it is kind of like microsoft
groundhog day! i have tried taking it off and re-installing to no avail.
would appreciate any help as i am pretty frustrated.

This is the Setup Assistant loop bug. See this page for help:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/error/setup_assistant.html>

Let me know if this helps.

C

Carl81

Hi Diane
Thanks for that. Unfortunately it did not work. I tried all options. option 3 - moving userdata to the desktop did indeed ask for an office identity and i got hopeful. after all this it went back to the startup assistant. the strange thing was that the userdata file that was only in the desktop appeared again in my documents file. i tried deleting it (as it was in the desktop) and it came back again. in trying to open word it took me to the office identity again only to see it had not saved the information i had previously entered?
alot of the sites i have looked at point at it being a potential pirated copy and office assistant not liking it. the cd i have is a burn from my IT department as i work with a charity and we have one cd and a number of licences we have bought with it. my IT guy said the product key is built into the cd and he doesnt have it. do you think it sounds like a glitch somewhere? he did say the cd had worked for everyone else!!
carl

D

Diane_Ross_MVP

On 1/7/10 2:26 AM, in article [email protected], &quot;[email protected]&quot; wrote:

the cd i have is a burn from my IT department as i work with a charity and we have one cd and a number of licences we have bought with it. &nbsp;my IT guy said the product key is built into the cd and he doesnt have it. &nbsp;do you think it sounds like a glitch somewhere? &nbsp;he did say the cd had worked for everyone else!!

I’m not familiar with the charity installs, but this doesn’t sound right to me. I can see having one installer, but having the key built in does not sound right. Does he have a key he can provide to you?

In the Finder, select /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/OfficePID.plist, and then on the File menu, click Move to Trash. Select /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 settings.plist, and then on the File menu, click Move to Trash. On the Apple menu, click Restart. After your computer restarts, open any Office 2008 application. The Office Setup Assistant opens. Accept the software license agreement, and then enter your valid product key.

--
Diane

Ask a Question