Office 12.1.7 Won't Install

J

jtk4

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I am running a valid, up-to-date version of Office 2008 for Mac. Microsoft AutoUpdate tells me that the 12.1.7 Update is available, but when I download it either through the Update program or separately, it will not install. When we reach the destination volume, it tells me that a version to update was not found.

Any suggestions short of reinstalling (which requires that I go all the way back to Office X)?

Q

queequeg731

I am running a valid, up-to-date version of Office 2008 for Mac. Microsoft AutoUpdate tells me that the 12.1.7 Update is available, but when I download it either through the Update program or separately, it will not install. When we reach the destination volume, it tells me that a version to update was not found.
Any suggestions short of reinstalling (which requires that I go all the way back to Office X)?

The only way I could get the update to work was to reinstall Office:Mac 2008, installing the update 12.1.0 then install 12.1.7 (don't worry about the versions in between its included in the latest. If you upgraded to 2008 from an earlier version of Office then you may have to reinstall the lot.

J

jasonpearce

Many in our office are enjoying the Entourage 13.0.0 (081218) beta your team released a few months ago. It's great!

We are unable, however, to install the Office 2008 12.1.7 Update that was released earlier this week. During the "Destination Select" step in the install procedure, we get this error:

"You cannot install Office 2008 12.1.7 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."

What is the proper procedure to install Office 2008 12.1.7 Update and have Entourage 13.0.0 installed?

J

jtk4

Only solution was to reinstall the original Office (2004), then the Office 2008 upgrade, then the 12.1.0 service pack, and finally the 12.1.7.l I found no other way.

D

Diane Ross

Many in our office are enjoying the Entourage 13.0.0 (081218) beta your team
released a few months ago. It's great!

We are unable, however, to install the Office 2008 12.1.7 Update that was
released earlier this week. During the "Destination Select" step in the
install procedure, we get this error:

"You cannot install Office 2008 12.1.7 Update on this volume. A version of the
software required to install this update was not found on this volume."

The update is NOT for the beta version.

D

Diane Ross

When we reach the destination volume, it tells me that a version to update was
not found.

Any suggestions short of reinstalling (which requires that I go all the way
back to Office X)?

The updater version should only ask you to point to the CD for the older
version. If you are using an "upgrade" version of Office and are trying to
install Office, but no longer have the older version installed, follow these
steps:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/upgrade.html>

J

jtk4

Apparently if you strip unnecessary languages from Office, as I did, using Monolingual or the like, Office will not update and you have start over with a new install.

I

iCowboy

Actually you don't need to do a full re-install. Here's a quicker way of fixing the 'A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume.' error:

First of all, get the update from the Mactopia site at <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx> - you'll need to root around for the actual update as the featured 'latest' update is for Office 2004.

2: Open the DMG file and drag the installer file on to the Desktop.

3: Go to the Desktop, right-click the installer file and choose [Show Package Contents].

4: Navigate down to Update/Contents/Resources/ and open the file package_updatable in your favourite text editor. You may be prompted if you want to make the file editable, say Yes.

5: Find the line 'found_valid_version=False'

6: Change 'False' to 'True'

7: Delete all the text below that line as far as the line 'if not found_valid_version:' BUT DO NOT DELETE THAT LINE.

8: Save the file.

9: Rerun the installer.

HTH.

D

Diane Ross

Hi, I can't save the file because it says the disk is read only. Any
suggestions?

You can try a Get Info and change permissions if it will let you unlock it.

D

Diane Ross

Thanks, I tried that, but it won't let me unlock.

I'm not sure why your download is locked. That's really beyond the scope of
this forum. You can do it the right way and do and re-install of the
software.

J

JonM

You need to copy the file to your mac's desktop - the read-only warning indicates you are trying to edit the installer on the .dmg you downloaded.

E

Eddie_MacBu

Greetings and Salutations

Some folks have mentioned that they have not been able to install the Office 12.1.7 update. I would like to remind folks of some of the caveats that apply to installing an Office update.

NAME
-----
The Apple Installer technology that we are using requires that the application and the folder they reside in maintain their original names. If you have renamed the applications or the folder they reside in, you'll need to revert it to the original names.

While you drag Office anywhere after an install, the Apple Installer technology will not find a copy of Office that is not on a bootable partition. So if you have Office on a spare partition with no OS on it, you'll need to move it to a partition that has an OS on it.

LANGUAGE
-----------
The updater only works on the language it was intended for; therefore, if you installed Italian Office, the German updater will not work for it. Because we use Apple's Installer the UI will match the UI of your OS so judging which updater you got by the UI of the Installer will not work.

MULTIPLE VERSIONS OF DIFFERENT LANGUAGES
------------------------------------
If you have multiple language versions of Office on your machine, then you'll want to put the one you wish to update in your Application folder; update it; then either rename it or move it out and put the next language in the Application folder.

The Installer will search for Office, and if the first one it finds is a different language than the updater it will not keep searching for copies with the matching language.

RESTARTING YOUR MACHINE
------------------------------------
In some instances, the temporary folder used to install the last update does not get deleted. In these instances, the next Office update cannot install – you can rectify this by restarting your machine.

Please also see the Knowledge Base Article we have at

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.m...s=3&quid=dc327dd2-3f60-405a-9477-b711c349ac53>

For more information.

I hope this covers most everyone's issues, and if not we are watching this forum, so please describe your situation and we will do our best to help you with INSTALLATION issues.

Eddie Ferris
Microsoft MacBU

C

Corentin Cras-Méneur

I hope this covers most everyone's issues, and if not we are watching
this forum, so please describe your situation and we will do our best to
help you with INSTALLATION issues.

Thanks for this clarification Eddie,

Corentin

Ask a Question