PPT 2010 embed or link video

D

djames_wol

I am concerned about embedding versus linking large video files (50mb +).

One, I'm concerned about corruption due to file size.

From a strictly performance perspective - are there any advantages to one or
the other?

Also, in the 2010 beta, on the insert video dialog, there is an "insert"
option and "link" option. But when you select link, it still shows insert, on
the dropdown list. I think this is a bug - because the files apparently are
linked.

Also, as a suggestion if MS is listening in, there should be an icon that
shows whether a video is linked or embedded right on the workspace screen.
This is a much-needed feature.

J

jpforestier

I like this idea of a clever button. But maybe that with 2010 we don't need
it anylonger. Just time will say

D

Dave

Thanks.

My point concerning the dialog and the Insert dropdown is that even when you click link, the dropdown still shows insert - so there's no way to know if it is actually going to embed or link.

If you're going to link, that should show on the dropdown before you hit OK - but maybe it's just me :)

And so far, it appears that the files are embedding either way.

D

Dave

The problem was that I have single click turned on - so I was trying to set the drop down and then click on the file. But the drop down isn't sticky

So, I just click in the window, hover over the file and then click link. That's was I was only getting embedded files

I have a very video-intensive presentation for teaching a class - and as it was the file was up to 400Mb when the files were embedded. So, it took forever to save and autosave. And, I've had enough crashes and file corruptions over the years, that I just don't trust a file that large in PPT.

D

Dave

My first reaction to one-click was the same as yours - but I have been using it for close to 10 years now, I guess - and I am lost without it when I go to another computer. You're right, I don't know anyone else who uses it either. Now it's second-nature.

Ask a Question