Project 2007 - setting calendar working hours

Reaction score
I have set the project calendar working hours to 5 hours/day. However then I enter a task with duration of 6 or 7 hours, Project start and finish date are the same day. Finish date should be the next day. If I enter a task duration of 8 hours, finish date is a day later than the start date (calculated correctly). Has anyone encountered this problem? It appears that somewhere Project has a default of 7 hours per day.

Reaction score
Hours per day vs Calendar hours

Hi,

When you say you've set the Hours per day for the calendar, do you mean that you've used the Options dialog box to change the Hours per day setting from 8.00 to 5.00?

This is a confusing option - it sounds like it should limit the hours of work that can be done in one day, but it doesn't. What it actually does is specify how many hours are scheduled when you enter a duration for a task of 1 day. Even more confusingly, this isn't done for a single calendar, but for the entire project.

If you entered a duration of 1 day for a task you'll see that you only get 5 hours. If you're entering durations in hours then the setting you've changed will have no effect.

To actually change the amount of time that can be worked in a day you'll need to modify the working hours for a calendar. Choose Project -> Change Working Time. You then need to specify the working times for each day - in Project 2007/2010 click the Work Weeks tab at the bottom of the dialog, select the Default work week and then click Details...

Now you can set the start and end times for work on each day of the week.

Hope it helps.

wiseowl.co.uk

Ask a Question