Project Server 2007 - strange things happening to groups / permissions

R

RichardG

Hi All,

We have come up with a weird situation in Project Server 2007 (with SP2 and August CU). We have migrated from PS2003 (17,000 resources, 1,200 projects) and for the most part, things are working fine.

However, at some point today a user was added to the Project Managers group (he was already a member of the Team Members group). When that user tried to connect to PS via Project Pro he still couldn't, but now he found that he couldn't connect to PWA either - SharePoint gives an "Access Denied" message. Removing him from the PMs group didn't resolved this second problem. In fact, now several users who could previously access PWA are getting Access Denied. The View Effective Rights tool from the Resource Kit reports that the users should be able to access PWA. There are no Deny permission anywhere in all of our groups or category permissions.

Looking further at this, the Project Managers group has suddenly changed to bloggsProject Managers (where bloggs is the surname of the user that was having the initial problem). Renaming the group back to its proper name doesn't fix the problem.

A similar situation occurred just prior to the last migration (although I didn't notice whether any of the groups got renamed like this the last time). Between migrations, we deleted the PWA instance and all of its databases and started again from scratch.

Another thing we noticed earlier is that some of our users (in a PMO group) are not able to save Protected baselines. The permissions all check out and say that they should be able to, but they still get a permission denied (or something similar) message when they try to save baseline 0. We control this permission via the My Tasks category - if a PMO user is on a Project's team, he gets Save Protected Baseline permission. The strange thing with this is that it is intermittent - sometimes they can save protected baselines and sometimes they can't. Sometimes, they can't save a protected baseline, so they save an unprotected baseline first, and then are able to save a protected baseline afterwards. This is all very odd.

It sound to me like the database (or one of them) has become corrupted somewhere. While I know that it is possible to restore to a backup, what is worrying me is how did this situation arise (twice!)?
Has anyone come across this sort of thing before? Was a root cause found? Is there a particular set of circumstances that cause this to happen? Is there another fix?

Any advice or comment would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Richard

Ask a Question