read only ppt

R

rswc90

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Please explain why my powerpoint is "read only" each time I copy a presentation from my iMac to my MBP or back again? Even when I change permissions to read & write, it is a read only document -- leaving me with many copies of the same ppt all with a,b,c, etc after them because I have to rename it to save it each time I move from one computer to the other. They are both OS X all updates are the latest. I work best on my iMac screen - but then copy it to my MBP to work with others. When I return home, I transfer it over to the iMac again. I have tried saving it on one than the other when I am networked at home. But then it looks for the version saved on the OTHER computer! Thanks for any ideas. I have more ppt questions!

D

denz

Please explain why my powerpoint is "read only" each time I copy a presentation from my iMac to my MBP or back again? Even when I change permissions to read & write, it is a read only document -- leaving me with many copies of the same ppt all with a,b,c, etc after them because I have to rename it to save it each time I move from one computer to the other. They are both OS X all updates are the latest. I work best on my iMac screen - but then copy it to my MBP to work with others. When I return home, I transfer it over to the iMac again. I have tried saving it on one than the other when I am networked at home. But then it looks for the version saved on the OTHER computer! Thanks for any ideas. I have more ppt questions!

I'm having the same problem. This is intermittent.
Students cannot save.
When trying to save, it says the file is "read only". The file is not open on any other machine and they have read and write access to there home directory.
They have to select "save as" and rename the file each time to save it.
Sometimes it works other times it will not.

This seems to only be a problem with powerpoint.
Other applications work fine.

Cannot find a fix anywhere. Frustrating.

Thanks for your help.

D

denz

Ok here is an update.

A student logs in to the server. This is a Tiger server with all the updates, etc.
The client machine is also on Tiger. The student logs in fine and opens their powerpoint file. Works on it and then tries to save.

Cannot save, the error message says its "read only".
If I do a get info on the file it says read and write for the user.
Cannot do a "save as" change the name and save it either. Sometimes this will work.

Now I opened other applications and I could open and save just fine. All this while power point is still open. Still power point will not let the student user save.
Again we save to the Tiger server in home directories. Tried to save the file to a flash drive. Comes back with as error saying it cannot save.
All permissions are correct. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it will not.
This is Office version X with updates.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Derek Enz
Information Technology
BOUSD

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Ok here is an update.

A student logs in to the server. This is a Tiger server with all the updates, etc.
The client machine is also on Tiger. The student logs in fine and opens their powerpoint file. Works on it and then tries to save.

Cannot save, the error message says its "read only".
If I do a get info on the file it says read and write for the user.
Cannot do a "save as" change the name and save it either. Sometimes this will work.

Now I opened other applications and I could open and save just fine. All this while power point is still open. Still power point will not let the student user save.
Again we save to the Tiger server in home directories. Tried to save the file to a flash drive. Comes back with as error saying it cannot save.
All permissions are correct. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it will not.
This is Office version X with updates.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Derek Enz
Information Technology
BOUSD

Do the server logs give any clues?

-Jim

D

denz

I have looked and cannot find any clues in the logs.

Another school district had the same issue.

They said it has to do with a invisible folder called .TemporaryItems that needed to be created at the root level of the Users directory.

Does this make sense?

Ask a Question