Synchronization problems while moving folders to new email

Reaction score
I'm using Outlook 2019, part of Office 2019 on a computer running Windows 10, as a client for a POP3 email. I am not connected to and exchange server. My problem is that I moved physically and got a new email where I now live. I still have my old email active but will lose that soon. What I did what probably a mistake.

First, I added my new email to outlook which worked fine. I now have two email accounts on the left folder pane. I had several folders under my inbox on my old email account and needed to have them moved to my new email account. My mistake may have been to move too many at once and maybe not the proper way. What I did was to simply drag each folder from the old inbox to my new emails inbox. This has caused my send/receive process to kick off and synchronize the subscribed folders. This process has now been running for about 3 days and I have about 143 files in the synch issues folder in my new emails inbox. When I look at the pop up for the send/receive tool, I can't tell what folder it's working on, if it's going back and trying to synchronize the folders it failed on, or if it's synchronizing a new one. It simply says "synchronizing subscribed folders for (my (e-mail address removed))". I'm not sure if I should cancel it and do something else or let it continue to run.

I did a search on my computer for both .pst files and .ost files. I have several .pst files, some I used to move email in the past from my work email system to my home email system, which in hindsight is probably what I should have done here instead of dragging the folders. I have three that look like they may be associated with my old email that I'm trying to move files from. I substituted "myemail" for my actual email name. They are:
myemail.midco.mail - This file is in the folder C:\Documents\Outlook Files and is 847 MB in size, date modified 10/2/20
(e-mail address removed) - This file is in the folder C:\Users\(my name)\OneDrive\Documents\Outlook Files and is also 847 MB in size, date modified 10/2/20
(e-mail address removed)-copy - This file is in the folder C:\Documents\Outlook Files and is 2.80 GB in size, date modified 7/2/21
I don't see a file with the name of my new email. I have to assume outlook is trying to update the old file name and not creating a new one. I also have saved a lot of emails, most important since 10/2/20, so I'd hate to have to start there.

I only found one .ost file. It is in the folder C:\Users\(my name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. The name is (my new email)@att.net which is my new email service. I did not find one for my old email service which was interesting.

I did find a couple help documents online for synchronization issues which discuss deleting the .ost file and letting the system rebuild it from the server. I'm afraid to delete anything since I am not connected to an exchange server, so I'm afraid if I delete the .ost file, I will lose all my email folders and saved emails completely. One says to look at the folders with issues in the synch issues folder, find that folder, click on that folder, click on send/receive and click update folder to fix the synch issue. I tried that, but the Update Folder button is greyed out and I can't click it.

Can anyone help me figure out how to get these folders to move properly and get the synchronization process to complete properly? Where my system is now is probably water under the bridge and now I need to know how to fix it.

One thing I've considered is to go to a folder that is having synchronization issues and move that folder back to the old emails inbox, then see if the error's stop and the process completes, then try again. Some of the folders having issues are sub folders and the parent and other sub folders worked fine. I'm not sure what will happen to the ones that worked fine to move the whole parent folder back. I assume it wouldn't be a good idea to try to move just a sub folder.

Also, I haven't been able to look at every email in every folder having issues, but the emails do appear to be there. The errors in this synch issues file doesn't get specific enough to let me know what email it's failing on or if it's the entire folder so it's hard to determine what is failing.

Thanks. TeaMan

Reaction score
I have an update to my first post. I went through two of the log files from my synch issues folder and compared them. What I found is the errors are the same. The system is attempting to synchronize the same items each time and failing, so it retries again, over and over. What happened is when I moved the folders by dragging them, one folder failed. I didn't realize that it had already created a folder in my new email inbox, so when I drug it the second time, it created the same file name with a (2) behind it. This new folder with the (2) behind it was totally empty. I then deleted this folder. Now when send/receive synchronizes the folders, it recreates this folder with the (2) behind it that is totally empty and fails, then keeps retrying. So the new question is, How do I get it to stop trying to recreate this empty folder and stop failing on the synchronization? Is there a way to edit either the .pst or .ost file to remove this empty folder so it stops trying to recreate it? Maybe I can try to recreate the .ost or .pst files. I'm assuming the .pst file is what I'm actually looking at when I'm in my outlook email.

Thanks
TeaMan

Ask a Question