Yes or No: Can you open a Visio 2003 file with Visio 2002?

C

Chris D.

Apologies for the blunt question, but I've just spent in excess of 2 hours hunting and pecking for an answer to this question and am frustrated, but not the least bit surprised, since it's just so typical. I did find the almost comical Knowledgebase article 826416, which essentially states that the solution to opening a Visio 2003 file with Visio 2002 is to open it in Visio 2003 (step 6) [Never mind that if you had Visio 2003, you wouldn't be experiencing the problem in the first place]

:p

On a more general note, why does Microsoft always refuse to just come out and state what it's products cannot do and why? Instead, they just trumpet what the product can do and dance the jig around what it can't. This practice results in making poor slobs like me waste hours of my time on their website looking for answers that don't exist but should. For example,
-Why can't I view a PST file on a read-only volume? (saying it is "by design" doesn't cut it)
-Why doesn't Excel generate a true CSV file when you save as CSV? (there is a utility squirreled away in the Knowledgebase to fix this)

If the answer to this question is, "No, you cannot open a Visio 2003 file with Visio 2002," then please just say so and put that fact on the Visio homepage.

Thanks and sorry for the rant,

Chris

B

Barb Way [MSFT]

Visio 2003 has a new file format, and none of the previous versions of Visio can read that format. In order to open a file created in 2003 on a Visio 2002 installation (or a 2000 one), you need to use the 'Save As' option and select 'Visio 2002 drawing'

-
Barb Wa
Microsoft Corporatio

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

R

Randall Arnold

Umm... with all due respect, I believe that's exactly the sort of canned
answer the gentleman was hoping to avoid.

Randall Arnold

C

Chris D.

Thanks for the response John & Barb (coincidentally, my boss' name is also John Marshall). As requested, a suggested answer is below; however, the real issue here is one of negative customer perception and experience. When Microsoft does something that inconveniences the end user (for whatever reason), and doesn't openly acknowledge or explain it, it feels to the end user like Microsoft is trying to hide something and hoping nobody notices. As a fellow Product Manager, I know that sometimes tough calls have to be made, but negative end user experiences should be mitigated to the greatest extent possible. The hours spent by users going on wild goose chases looking for non-existent information on the Microsoft website only adds insult to injury. If the answer below (or a reasonable facsimile), were prominently posted in the Visio 2003, Visio 2002, and Visio 2000 assistance sections, and Visio 2003 FAQ's, I for one, would be more than happy with that

Barb's answer definitely sheds more light on the answer; however, the way her answer is worded, it leads the user to believe that there is a 'Save As' option in Visio 2002 that can be used to open the Visio 2003 file. A suggestion for a clearer answer might be

Visio 2003 files cannot be opened with Visio 2002 or previous versions of Visio. Visio 2003 has a new and incompatible file format because [Insert appropriate reason here, ie] [There is some fantastic new feature you can't live without] [Our engineers just did it with no regard to the inconvenience to our end users] [etc]. There [are] [are not] plans to create a converter to enable previous versions of Viso to open Visio 2003 files. If you are a user of a previous version of Viso and have received a Visio 2003 document from an individual, it is suggested that you ask that individual to resend it in Visio 2002 format, which can be done by using the 'Save As' option in Visio 2003 and selecting 'Visio 2002 drawing.' Alternatively, please download and install the Visio 2003 viewer, which will allow you view, but not modify, a Visio 2003 file within your web browser

Thanks again

Chri

----- John Marshall, MVP wrote: ----

Unfortunately, that is the situation. Do you have any suggestions of a mor
appropriate answer

John... Visio MV

Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.ht
Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.ht
Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.ht

B

Barb Way

I didn't intend to imply that a 2002 user had any ways to open the file
(with or without the Save As option) - So I regret that misconception.
In answer to Chris' comment on new features, the single biggest reason for
the change was that we are now Unicode based.
This situation was encountered previously when Visio Corporation released
version 2000, and also changed the file format from the 5.0 version,
creating exactly the same need to 'Save As' from 2000 to 5.0. In fact,
Visio 2002 was the first version in 3 releases that Did Not have to use
'Save As' to create files for use in the version previous.

J

John Marshall, MVP

It is standard practise with most software packages that as the software
evolves the file format may change. When each version is created the
developers believe they have the best format for the data files, but
sometimes when the next version rolls around they find they can not use the
old format without a change. Unfortunately users of older versions are
inconvenienced.

The chances of a "Save as Next Version" button are highly improbable. A
crystal ball would be required if the feature was added when the product is
released and though the feature could be added as a patch, the chances of
getting approval to create this patch are nil.

In the other direction, Visio has always been able to read older files
created in any of the previous versions. I've loaded Visio 1 files into
Visio 2003 with no problems.

John... Visio MVP

PS: Telll your accountant that John Marshall thinks you deserve a raise.
;-)

Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm
Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm
Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm

R

Randall Arnold

I shouldn't have played "poster advocate"-- he came back and explained it
himself. ; )

Randall Arnold

R

Randall Arnold

Sure! I *almost* made VB MVP a few years or so back, but they cancelled the
program (temporarily, as you no doubt recalled) right as I was to qualify--
and all my records were purged. I was told I'd have to start over... sigh.
Anyway, I've been spending more time in the Visio groups nowadays, so that
would be more appropriate!

Thanks John.

Randall Arnold

C

Chris D.

Hello John & Barb

I see the new item added to the Visio 2003 FAQ. Much better! Thanks! One last wordsmithing nit though. Could you modify the sentence, "You can open a Visio 2003 diagram in Microsoft Visio 2002 or Visio 2000 by first saving the diagram in the Visio 2002/2000 file format." to read, "You can open a Visio 2003 diagram in Microsoft Visio 2002 or Visio 2000 by first saving the diagram in the Visio 2002/2000 file format from within Visio 2003." That would make it crystal clear. As worded, it could still mislead a user to think that they could open a Visio 2003 file from within Visio 2002 and save it in Visio 2002 format using Visio 2002

Thanks again

Chris

Ask a Question