Forms & Fields Question

S

SST

Okay. Different angle here.

Suppose I was using an Access database as a backend, and InfoPath as a frontend to maintain some work order information for the department I run at the company at which I work.

Say, I created the Access database with an Employee table, saved it, and closed it. Then I created a form, linked it to that Employee table during creation, and was sure to exclude memo/picture fields that would disable submits.

I then yank up the fields that are auto-generated as .xml schema, enter some data (data view), submit, and then verify that the information in fact was sent to the Access database.

Yipee. However, my celebration is short-lived. I then add a Department table to the Access database that has an obvious one-to-many relationship to the Employee table. I then pull up my InfoPath Employee form *and, at last, my question* how do I add fields from this new table to the .xml schema? When I open the Employee form and go into Desing mode, the Employee fields are shown. I want to use the Employee fields with the Department fields.

I've tried secondary data sources to no avail.

Anyone have insight?
I'd imagine this how people would use InfoPath - works in progress, come up with ideas, need to add tables, and in turn, fields to existing forms. I'd hate to think one would have to start over just because a new table is needed.

S

Steve van Dongen [MSFT]

SST said:
Okay. Different angle here.

Are you replying to some message I don't see?
Suppose I was using an Access database as a backend, and InfoPath as a frontend to maintain some work order information for the department I run at the company at which I work.

Say, I created the Access database with an Employee table, saved it, and closed it. Then I created a form, linked it to that Employee table during creation, and was sure to exclude memo/picture fields that would disable submits.

I then yank up the fields that are auto-generated as .xml schema, enter some data (data view), submit, and then verify that the information in fact was sent to the Access database.

Yipee. However, my celebration is short-lived. I then add a Department table to the Access database that has an obvious one-to-many relationship to the Employee table. I then pull up my InfoPath Employee form *and, at last, my question* how do I add fields from this new table to the .xml schema? When I open the Employee form and go into Desing mode, the Employee fields are shown. I want to use the Employee fields with the Department fields.

I've tried secondary data sources to no avail.

Anyone have insight?
I'd imagine this how people would use InfoPath - works in progress, come up with ideas, need to add tables, and in turn, fields to existing forms. I'd hate to think one would have to start over just because a new table is needed.

With SP1 you will go to Tools | Data Sources and modify your
datasource to include your additional table.

Regards,
Steve

Ask a Question