Help!

D

Dean

I was working on a few MS Word documents today, documents that I update daily and, I took a couple of hours off and when I came back, word was closed and the documents had none of the changes I had made today.

My settings are to allow "background saves" and to do autorecover every 10 minutes. When, I did a search for Word docs modified in the last day, my files showed up but none of them had any updates I've done in the last 24 hours in them, even though I think they showed today's date. Some of these temporary hushed files (with a tilde in front) seem to show up, but if you open them by themselves, it's garbage. Now, I did the search again, 15 minutes later, and far fewer files show up.

I don't understand this - I think it seems to happen to me about once a year, for no reason, but, regardless, can someone tell me the best way to integrate whatever background saved files I have, in order to try to resurrect what I did today?

Thanks so much, Dean

D

Dean

addressed in other forum - close this out.

Thx
I was working on a few MS Word documents today, documents that I update daily and, I took a couple of hours off and when I came back, word was closed and the documents had none of the changes I had made today.

My settings are to allow "background saves" and to do autorecover every 10 minutes. When, I did a search for Word docs modified in the last day, my files showed up but none of them had any updates I've done in the last 24 hours in them, even though I think they showed today's date. Some of these temporary hushed files (with a tilde in front) seem to show up, but if you open them by themselves, it's garbage. Now, I did the search again, 15 minutes later, and far fewer files show up.

I don't understand this - I think it seems to happen to me about once a year, for no reason, but, regardless, can someone tell me the best way to integrate whatever background saved files I have, in order to try to resurrect what I did today?

Thanks so much, Dean

J

JoAnn Paules [MVP]

This is why you need to stick with the most applicable newsgroup and wait for a response.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Thx

Thanks so much, Dean

D

Dean

I'm sure you mean well, but your comment doesn't make much sense to me.

I got my answer via Microsoft.public.word.newuser, which I tried later, instead of this one, which I tried earlier. I don't see how that one was more applicable than this one, in fact, given that it wasn't a rookie question, just the reverse would seem to be true. For whatever reason, that group is more active than this one. That's the only difference I can figure. Perhaps you know something I don't.

Respectfully,
Dean

This is why you need to stick with the most applicable newsgroup and wait for a response.

--

JoAnn Paules

Thx

Thanks so much, Dean

J

JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Posting the same question in multiple newsgroups at the same time makes it very difficult to keep track of any possible answers. You pick the group that seems like the most likely place to get a response and then wait. And there's no way to "close a question out" - it just hangs around out there.

--

JoAnn Paules

I'm sure you mean well, but your comment doesn't make much sense to me.

I got my answer via Microsoft.public.word.newuser, which I tried later, instead of this one, which I tried earlier. I don't see how that one was more applicable than this one, in fact, given that it wasn't a rookie question, just the reverse would seem to be true. For whatever reason, that group is more active than this one. That's the only difference I can figure. Perhaps you know something I don't.

Respectfully,
Dean

--

JoAnn Paules

Thx

Thanks so much, Dean

P

PeterMcC

Dean wrote in
I'm sure you mean well, but your comment doesn't make much sense to
me.

I got my answer via Microsoft.public.word.newuser, which I tried
later, instead of this one, which I tried earlier. I don't see how
that one was more applicable than this one, in fact, given that it
wasn't a rookie question, just the reverse would seem to be true.
For whatever reason, that group is more active than this one. That's
the only difference I can figure. Perhaps you know something I
don't.

I'd recommend cross-posting rather than multiposting.

This may explain:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html#why1

D

Dean

Thanks much. In the past, I've almost never posted to more than 2 groups
and never were both of them Microsoft forums. I don't usually have any WORD
questions, so I was just learning which forums are most active. Who would
have guessed that
"newuser" would be the most active - I guess folks like you take the most
pity on the most hapless of us!

Thanks!
Dean

PS: Love your disclaimer!

P

PeterMcC

Dean wrote in
Thanks much.

You're very welcome.
In the past, I've almost never posted to more than 2
groups and never were both of them Microsoft forums.

The x-posting is really handy as long as the groups are relevant.

PS: Love your disclaimer!

It stops me flaming people - it just looks stupid with a sig like that. I
know my propensities :)

Ask a Question