How to copy Exchange account settings fromOutlook on PC to Entourage on Mac?

R

Rinzwind

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: Exchange I have a working Exchange account setup in Outlook 2007 on a Windows XP PC which I am trying to move to Entourage 2008. I tried the Entourage account setup assistant but it didn't work. I am now trying to configure the account in Entourage manually by copying the settings from the Outlook account configuration window. So far this didn't work. Perhaps I am simply overlooking something, but there also seem to be some settings that I cannot find in the Outlook account configuration window (I think Outlook gets these from the system instead).

Are there some instructions available on how to determine the necessary settings for Entourage 2008 using the working Outlook 2007 setup on the Windows XP PC?

( Unfortunately "ask your network adminstrator" is not an option as he is opposed to Mac usage and unwilling to help at this time. )

S

SpiderTech

Rinzwind,

From what i know about setting up entourage accounts is you have to set it up correctly the first or blow it out and start over.

I would start by checking the settings you already have and call your exchange provider to get the proper server settings you need for Entourage as they may not be the same as in Outlook.

Check the settings;
Entourage > Account settings > New Account > Exchange

1) Type in your email address correctly and select Configure Account manually
2) Fill in these fields;
  a) account name and name are not required for proper connection.
  b) emaill address and account ID are your full email address
  c) Domain: This information will also need to be provide by your exchange hosting complany(exsample; shared may be the setting)
  d) password: this the password associated with your account
  e) Exchange Server: This is the information you will need to contact your provider to validate. ( ex.exchange address/exchange/youremailaddress) Is the typical settings

Since i am new to the world of Entourage and MAC, please indicate if any information i give is invalid or incorrect.

Thanks

R

Rinzwind

Thanks for the info. I've been able to set up the account since posting the question. I thought the setup of the Exchange server was more complicated, but it turned out I only had to tick the box to use a secure DAV connection to get it to work (besides providing the username, password, domain and name of the server). Thanks for your offer to help though!

S

sabino

Thanks for the info. I've been able to set up the account since posting the question. I thought the setup of the Exchange server was more complicated, but it turned out I only had to tick the box to use a secure DAV connection to get it to work (besides providing the username, password, domain and name of the server). Thanks for your offer to help though!

Dear Rinzwind -

I understood and sympathized with your situation.
And I'm pleased you were able to resolve the config set-up yourself.
I too worked in a large system whose IT Dept. tried to discouraged Mac use and refused to provide any support, even giving general server settings & info.
So, I had to do it myself by trial-n error in Office Mac 2004.
I got it working except for the GAL, (Global Address List)
Sounds like Office Mac 2008 has a more friendly, streamlined account setup.
But, since it's fresh in your mind, maybe you could post some more detailed specifics to this Forum for others to refer to later on and learn from if needed.

R

Rinzwind

I'm happy to post some more details to help others. But again, the setup turned out to be really simple so I'm not sure if it will be much help for those who are confronted with more complicated setups.

Using the account settings window in Entourage 2008 (under: Entourage menu > Account Settings) I added a new account (File menu > New > Account). In the window that comes up I chose "Account type: Exchange". In the "Edit Account" window that is then shown I filled out the details as follows. "Name" and "E-mail address" should be obvious. For "Authentication" I selected "Use my account information." The "Account ID", "Domain" and "Password" are the same settings as I use to log in on the Windows PC. The setting for "Exchange server" (under "Server information") I copied from the Outlook configuration on the PC. I don't remember where exactly in Outlook I found it, but it shouldn't be hard to find in its configuration window. The one tricky part for me was just having to check the option "This DAV service requires a secure connection (SSL)". Without checking that option it didn't work, and Entourage gave a very vague error message. (It made me think I maybe had to use different settings for "authentication" altogether, like using the "Kerberos" option; but as said that turned out not to be the case.) I left all other options and fields at their default settings (which was off or empty for most).

Hope that helps!

Ask a Question