Powerpoint slide show from list, with macro?

D

DavidW

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I would like to have a slideshow created from a list of slide names. Is there any way to do this, using VBA?
The list is generated by a macro in Excel.
It's customized for each person (removing any unfamiliar slides) from a standard set of pictures.
If Powerpoint cannot read picture file names from a list, any suggestions about how to do this?
I suppose a macro could go down the list and delete the corresponding picture.
This would not allow randomizing the order howere, as being able to INSERT a picture from the list would.
I suppose therefore a macro could go down the list and INSERT the picture with that file name.
I have experience with Excel macros, none yet with Powerpoint, so any suggestions about how to accomplish this will be very appreciated.

S

Steve Rindsberg

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I would like to have a slideshow created from a list of slide names. Is there any way to do
this, using VBA?

I'm not entirely clear on the concept. A few questions:
The list is generated by a macro in Excel.
It's customized for each person (removing any unfamiliar slides) from a standard set of
pictures.

What does "unfamiliar slides" mean?

And what exactly is on the list ... are these slide names the names of slides in an existing PPT
file or something else?

It sounds like you mean for the list to contain the names of picture files.
If so, then yes, PPT/VBA could read the list and insert each picture on the list onto a new
slide.

If Powerpoint cannot read picture file names from a list, any suggestions about how to do this?
I suppose a macro could go down the list and delete the corresponding picture.
This would not allow randomizing the order howere, as being able to INSERT a picture from the list would.
I suppose therefore a macro could go down the list and INSERT the picture with that file name.
I have experience with Excel macros, none yet with Powerpoint, so any suggestions about how to
accomplish this will be very appreciated.

First question: Are these the names of the slides in an existing presentation or something
else?

D

DavidW

In said:
this, using VBA?

I'm not entirely clear on the concept. A few questions:

pictures.

What does "unfamiliar slides" mean?
Not important. It's a test of naming familiar pictures, so customized for each person to remove the unfamiliar ones.
And what exactly is on the list ... are these slide names the names of slides in an existing PPT
file or something else?
They are slides in an existing presentation, but these slides are also picture files, so either is possible.

Related question: I'm not sure how to name slides. The pictures as inserted from files are in a numbered list. Adding a name results in a title box, which I could only get rid of my making the font white, as background. This does result in a list with names in Custom Show dialog, but is there a better way?
It sounds like you mean for the list to contain the names of picture files. Ideally.
If so, then yes, PPT/VBA could read the list and insert each picture on the list onto a new
slide.

Perhaps the best thing is for the macor to create a completely new slideshow, based on the final list generated by Excel (Column A. Number (1096), Column B. Name of picture file.

S

Steve Rindsberg

Not important. It's a test of naming familiar pictures, so customized for each person to remove the
unfamiliar ones.

Happens in the process of making the list that PPT will process later, in other words? OK.
They are slides in an existing presentation, but these slides are also picture files, so either is
possible.

And it's possible to insert either slides from another file or pictures, but pictures are a WHOLE lot
simpler.

Here's some example code for inserting an undistorted picture into PPT. You'd probably want to change it
to a function something like:

Function InsertPicture(objSlide as Slide, strPicFile as String, sngTop as Single, _
sngLeft as Single, sngHeight as Single, sngWidth as Single) as Shape

Insert a picture at the correct size
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00329.htm
Related question: I'm not sure how to name slides.

Depends on what you want to do with the names. Each slide has a .Name property

With ActivePresentation.Slides(1)
.Name = "Call me Ishmael"
End With

or you can add all the Tags you like to slides (and presntations and shapes)

.Tags.Add "Name", "Marvin"
.Tags.Add "Number", "42"
.Tags.Add "Peeve", "Pain in all the diodes down my left side"
End With

MsgBox .Tags("Name")
' and so on
End With

The pictures as inserted from files are in a numbered list. Adding a name results in a title box, which I
could only get rid of my making the font white, as background. This does result in a list with names in
Custom Show dialog, but is there a better way?
Perhaps the best thing is for the macor to create a completely new slideshow, based on the final list
generated by Excel (Column A. Number (1096), Column B. Name of picture file.

Ask a Question