Windows cannot find C:\ (doc) Make sure you typed the name correct

P

Pastored

I've read every post so far in this thread and come up with no improvement.
DonV, your solution can't work for all since not all have the BCM.

T

Terry Farrell

Is this applicable?

That may be a symptom of a Word Data Key corruption - usually because Word
has been running when updates are installed.

Run Regedit and expand by double-clicking to the key below. With DATA
selected, press DELETE. Word will automatically recreate a new key when it
is restarted.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data

Symptoms of Data Key corruption may include:

• The mouse does not work when you use Word.
• You cannot open a Word document from the Search window in Windows
Vista.
• You cannot open a Word document from Windows Desktop Search.
• Word crashes when you try to start or exit Word.
• Word crashes when you open the Open dialog box.
• Word crashes when you save a document.
• Word crashes when you close a document.

If you feel uncomfortable editing the registry yourself, Microsoft have a
download that will do this for you. See MSKB 940791
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940791

Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

P

Pastored

Okay. It's "fixed" for me.

Not sure why by it must have somehow been associated with the User account.
For another entirely different reason Dell had me create a different User
account, which I did. Simultaneously, at least so far (less than 24 hours)
the "Windows cannot finf message has not recurred.

Pressing on, Ed ><}}}>

J

jerry

is your problem sloved?
after 2 years ,my office version is sp2 12.0.6425.1000 ,the same issue still
exist

P

Pastored

Sorry, folks. I spoke too soon. It work for about a day then the problem
recurred. No explanation.

Pressing on, Ed

J

jerry

thank you ,it works , i fixed

DonV said:
You may not have to un-install BCM after all. Seems there is an addin for
Word that can be hacked so you can continue to use BCM while resolving the
Word/document issue. Here is a message from MS that explains what's going on
and how to correct it.

Hi DonV,

Thanks for your reply and the detail testing steps.

However, based on my testing:
1. A computer with Windows Vista and Office 2007 Enterprise edition.
2. I install BCM for Outlook 2007. The BCM version is 3.00.5828.00. The
Outlook version is 12.0.6023.5000. The Office 2007 version is
3. I Start Outlook 2007 with BCM > double click a Word document icon to open
it > it is opened successfully. I didn't get the error
"Windows cannot find <filename>.".

It seems that the issue may also be related to other applications on your
computer.

After installing the BCM for Outlook, I found that it will add an addin in
Word 2007. Please remove this addin in Word 2007 to see if it
works fine on your computer.

1. Go to start > run > type regedit, press ENTER.
2. Locate the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\.
3. Right click the BCM related registry key and choose Export to backup it.
And then delete this BCM related registry key.
4. Exit Word 2007. Double click a Word document icon to open it again. What
is the result?

If it still doesn't work, please also help me to collect the process monitor
log file.

- Download procmon.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx
- Exit all running applications. Run procmon.exe
- Stop the current logging by clicking on the magnifying glass button.
- Clear the current log by clicking on the eraser button.
- Start the capturing by clicking on the magnifying glass button.
- Double click a Word document icon. When you get the error "windows cannot
find <filename>", stop the capturing by clicking on the
magnifying glass button.
- Click the File menu > Save to save the file as Issue.pml.
- Zip up and send the resulting log files to me at (e-mail address removed).

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

J

James Stevens

I?ve been working on this problem for several months. I have used ProcMon, recreated the error message several times and analyzed each entry. I had a number of ?File Locked to Only Readers? entries that I initially thought may have been causing the problem. I have gone over every post in this thread and tried most of the suggestions.I'm not a professional IT person, just a determined hobbyist.

And I almost overlooked the Feb. 2, 2009 post that solved the problem for me because the suggestion is counter-intuitive. Why would UNCHECKING the ?Run as Administrator? box under Properties and Compatibility for the Word executable file winword.exe at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 solve this problem, since that would seemingly just add another layer of restrictions to running Word. I have no idea why, but maybe someone here that is smarter than me does know. But it did solve the problem. I also unchecked the ?Run as Administrator? box under ?Compatibility for all Users? after clicking ?Show settings for all users,? (which most people probably won?t have checked). I am running 64-bit Vista Ultimate with Office 2007, upgraded from Office 2003.

In the process of working on this, I made a list of the possible solutions offered here and at a couple of other forums so I wouldn?t have to keep going thru the thread. To save others the time of going thru this thread here is the list I made:

1. Change default printer to Microsoft Document Writer
2. Run the Word/Office diagnostics utility. Run Office repair in Add/Remove Programs.
3. Bluetooth drivers can be a source of problems with Office programs. Try disabling them.
4. Third-party add-ins may be responsible. Disable them and see if that helps.
5. Anti-virus or anti-spyware may be causing the problem. Prevent them from starting using AutoRuns, WinPatrol or a similar program. Check for and disable any anti-virus/spyware Office program add-ins.
6. The .docx file was incorrectly associated with the Word Viewer and not Word itself. Changing the default file association for .docx files from Word Viewer to Word might help.
7. The Office Compatibility Pack might be causing the problem. Try uninstalling it if present.
8. The 1and1 Easy Login program may be causing the problem.
9. Delete the Word data key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\version number\Word\Data (save a copy of the key or set a system restore point first).
10. Removing the Learning Essentials program may solve the problem.
11. HP printer drivers can interfere with other programs. Try disabling the driver. Also try disabling the numerous HP printer-related services in services.
12. There is some speculation that the problem is happening in the Office roaming file as opposed to the normal Office program(s) file. That file is at C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office. In that file, rename the file Word12.pip to something else, like Word12.old.
13. If your current version of Office is an upgrade from an earlier version, make sure all traces from the earlier version are deleted.

But before you try anything else, try unchecking ?Run as Administrator? as described in the second paragraph.

jerry wrote:

Re: Windows cannot find C:\ (doc) Make sure you typed the name cor
17-Sep-09

thank you ,it works , i fixe

:

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
In-Memory Data Caching for Performance
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...21-e5008e6123d0/inmemory-data-caching-fo.aspx

8mile

Hi I got this from someone else, it works for me. Hope it works for all of
you too

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. In Microsoft Office Excel 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and
then click Excel Options.
2. Click Advanced, and then click to clear the Ignore other applications
check box in the General area.
3. Click OK.
1. In Microsoft Office Excel 2003 or earlier versions of Excel click
Options, on the Tools menu.
2. Click the General tab.
3. Click to clear the Ignore other applications check box, and then click OK.
After you do this, you should be able to open workbooks by double-clicking
them in Windows Explorer.

R

robbydawgs

UPDATE - 10/22/2009, I have followed all suggestions and "fixes" on the
support.microsoft site, and I TOO still have the same issue trying to open
word documents on a vista machine with word 2007 by simply double-clickking

B

BDEGhost

James Stevens said:
I?ve been working on this problem for several months. I have used ProcMon, recreated the error message several times and analyzed each entry. I had a number of ?File Locked to Only Readers? entries that I initially thought may have been causing the problem. I have gone over every post in this thread and tried most of the suggestions.I'm not a professional IT person, just a determined hobbyist.

And I almost overlooked the Feb. 2, 2009 post that solved the problem for me because the suggestion is counter-intuitive. Why would UNCHECKING the ?Run as Administrator? box under Properties and Compatibility for the Word executable file winword.exe at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 solve this problem, since that would seemingly just add another layer of restrictions to running Word. I have no idea why, but maybe someone here that is smarter than me does know. But it did solve the problem. I also unchecked the ?Run as Administrator? box under ?Compatibility for all Users? after clicking ?Show settings for all users,? (which most people probably won?t have checked). I am running 64-bit Vista Ultimate with Office 2007, upgraded from Office 2003.

In the process of working on this, I made a list of the possible solutions offered here and at a couple of other forums so I wouldn?t have to keep going thru the thread. To save others the time of going thru this thread here is the list I made:

2. Run the Word/Office diagnostics utility. Run Office repair in Add/Remove Programs.
3. Bluetooth drivers can be a source of problems with Office programs. Try disabling them.
5. Anti-virus or anti-spyware may be causing the problem. Prevent them from starting using AutoRuns, WinPatrol or a similar program. Check for and disable any anti-virus/spyware Office program add-ins.
6. The .docx file was incorrectly associated with the Word Viewer and not Word itself. Changing the default file association for .docx files from Word Viewer to Word might help.
7. The Office Compatibility Pack might be causing the problem. Try uninstalling it if present.
9. Delete the Word data key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\version number\Word\Data (save a copy of the key or set a system restore point first).
11. HP printer drivers can interfere with other programs. Try disabling the driver. Also try disabling the numerous HP printer-related services in services.
12. There is some speculation that the problem is happening in the Office roaming file as opposed to the normal Office program(s) file. That file is at C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office. In that file, rename the file Word12.pip to something else, like Word12.old.
13. If your current version of Office is an upgrade from an earlier version, make sure all traces from the earlier version are deleted.

But before you try anything else, try unchecking ?Run as Administrator? as described in the second paragraph.

jerry wrote:

17-Sep-09

:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...21-e5008e6123d0/inmemory-data-caching-fo.aspx

B

BDEGhost

Thank you very much, James.....your post about UNCHECKING the "Run As
Administrator" for Word worked !!!!! I have tried everything else mentioned
and nothing worked. It has been very frustrating. Finally, I can open Word
docs from my Outlook or from Explorer.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

James Stevens said:

jerry wrote:

17-Sep-09

:

Ask a Question